Privacy Notice May 2018
How your information will be used
Information you provide to this website may be stored and used to provide services to you.
We require an email address to idenitfy the account holder. This will not be shared with any other website or service. It is used to send you notifications about your account and perform administrative tasks such as resetting your password. You have the option to opt-out of all email notifications through your settings.
Communication channels created on this website require a name and a photo or avatar. A default avatar will be chosen if you do not supply one. The name, avatar, and a link to the channel webpage will be shared with other servers and services in order to refer to this identity. The name does not need to be your real name and the photo or avatar does not need to resemble you.
All other information you supply to this website is optional.
As a social communication and cloud storage service, you will usually be using this website to share information with others. We provide a range of privacy options to allow you to restrict this sharing to only those you choose.
Processing of your information
Our processing of your information is limited to storing it for you to use. We MAY keep logs of activity to help diagnose software issues and to maintain security of the system against intrusion. These logs are routinely deleted after a few days.
We MAY (if you have provided this permission) try to suggest frendships or connections based on analysing publicly available information about your connections. This is currently the most advanced data "processing" performed at this website. You may restrict access to this information if this processing is undesired.
If supplied, we MAY use your gender to formulate text messages in your native language, for instance "Bob commented on HIS post."
We do not share your private information with third parties or analyse your behaviour or personal characteristics. We have no advertisements or business relationships with advertisers.
We MAY be asked or forced to divulge information provided by you in response to legitimate criminal and legal proceedings. Where possible we will notify you if this happens.
Access to your information
Some communications are shared with other websites. Those using the same software will usually have similar privacy policies.
You may be shown embedded videos and provided links to visit other websites as part of your day-to-day activities using this website. This MAY expose you to monitoring by external services, such as (but not limited to) Facebook, Twitter, and Google. Each website operator is allowed to configure whether or not embedded content is permitted.
Further access to your personal data and stored files is under your control.
Our storage of your data is provided under your implied consent through your continued use of the service. You may withdraw this consent at any time and on account deletion we will remove all data which belongs to you. The process of deletion may take several days as we also make a good faith effort to delete it from any internetworked websites that have been provided a copy.
All data and files stored for a communications channel are available for you to download for either archival puposes or to transfer to another compatible website.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and The Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) you have a number of rights with regard to your personal data. You have the right to request from us access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data, the right to restrict processing, object to processing as well as in certain circumstances the right to data portability.
If you have provided consent for the processing of your data you have the right (in certain circumstances) to withdraw that consent at any time which will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent was withdrawn.
You have the right to lodge a complaint to the Information Commissioners’ Office if you believe that we have not complied with the requirements of the GDPR or DPA 18 with regard to your personal data.
Identity and contact details of controller and data protection officer
[NAME OF COMPANY] is the controller [and processor] of data for the purposes of the DPA 18 and GDPR. 3
If you have any concerns as to how your data is processed you can contact:
[ [NAME] Data Protection Offer at [EMAIL ADDRESS] ] [NAME] [JOB TITLE] at [EMAIL ADDRESS] or you can write to these individuals using the address of 
Terms of Service
This is a privately run Hubzilla instance.
To use this Hubzilla instance you have to abide by these simple rules:
- We have a zero tolerance policy for racism, hate speech, threats, personal attacks and discrimination. Your account, including all channels you control will be terminated immediately on breach of these rules.
- While we're not so prudent that nudity or even mild forms of pornography is banned, we will strike down hard on child pornography or graphic portrayals of minors! Your rights to use this Hubzilla instance will be revoked immediately on breach.
- We also do not tolerate spam! Again your account will be terminated.
- Do not upload or post content that you have no rights to. I.e copyrighted content or photos, videos etc of individuals who has not given their consent. This does not prevent you from linking to such content, as long as it is clear that this content is hosted somewhere else. To clarify further, linking to a video hosted on vimeo, or music on soundcloud is ok, content on a piracy site is not ok.
- When posting news content or content made off-site, make it clear that this is created by an external provider. A link to the original content or a citation will do fine.
- Please consider tagging graphic content, pornography etc using the #nsfw tag.
- You are alone responsible for the content you publish. Neither the Volse Hubzilla administrators, nor it's moderators can be held responsible for content published by any of its users.
In short: don't be an asshole!