Yesterday we woke up to an annoying beeping sound, which happened to come from the smoke detectors in our house. One of the phones had been charging over night, and had started to catch fire in the early morning. Luckily we woke up, and also that my girlfriend is way more capable than me of thinking clearly at that time of day. The burning phone was thrown out of the house, and apart from some second degree burns on her fingers, we and the house came away unharmed.
It could have gone much worse, though. So a warning to everyone: Electricity is a powerful force, and battery technology is never going to be 100% safe. Be careful about charging phones, laptops or pads over night, and always pull on the plug and not the cord when unplugging electrical equipment. Replace cords that seems shaky, and if your mobile has a habit of getting really hot when you charge it, have a qualified service person look at it. Better one time too much than one too few.
Yeah, and make sure you have working smoke detectors! Check them regularly.